January 09, 2009

First Day Jitters

I've been planning this inevitable separation for months...Truman's first day of preschool. Not wanting him to struggle with change, we visited the school a couple times in the summer, did more than one too many tours, and had meet-and-greets with the teachers. I even cranked up the kudos by applauding his school-tastic skills at home these last couple of weeks.

Here he is out the door and off to school:

He did incredibly well and adapted to his new environment as if he's been going to school for years. Thinking I was going to have to stay for a while to wipe his tears, console him, and tell him that the comforting rituals of life at home were over, I was the one needing tissue and an exit strategy. I didn't drag out the long goodbyes so while he was playing with his new found toys I tapped him on the shoulder to tell him I was leaving. He turned around and I hugged him with all my heart and soul with tears streaming down my face. I finally let go, he looked into my eyes and said, "Why you crying Mommy? Don't cry." Trying to hold back the rest of my tears I said, "I'm fine. I'm just so proud of you."

All along it was me who was going to have first day jitters. I wasn't ready to let go of my first born son but I was reassured knowing I had done my job as a Mommy. I had raised a confident and self-assured 2 1/2 year old boy ready for a wild wind adventure of new faces, yummy hot lunches, and potty training.

A final send off. Truman's smile tells you how excited he is about school:
Let's hope this excitement will last for 20 more years so I can watch him graduate from architecture school. Daddy would be so proud.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for the brave mom! and Truman too, it's hard to let go but we have to. That's one nice thing about having more than one child, just when you have to say goodbye to the baby and hello to the little kid, a new baby comes. Of course mom's have to eventually just let go of the last one, otherwise you end up with your own series on TLC.
    Truman looks fantastic, I wish I had a panda bear hat!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment